Time to relax
So many jobs to do at work and at home every day, there’s one very important task that often gets overlooked – some time to relax. Even if you only have a short time to spare, finding that time for yourself will allow you the opportunity to rest and reset, so you can approach the remainder of the day with renewed focus.
People’s preferred ways to relax can differ greatly; some might enjoy the tranquillity of sitting and reading a good book whilst others might find an intense workout key for their relaxation. However, if you only have a few minutes to spare, one of the most effective ways to relax is simply to find a quiet space and try some silent meditation. You’ll feel the benefits after as little as 10 minutes!
• Find somewhere with natural lighting: either switch off artificial lights and light a candle if it’s dark or go outside to your garden or local park to benefit from the fresh air too.
• Wear loose, comfortable clothing and make sure you’re warm enough so that you won’t be distracted by any physical elements.
• Introduce some fragrance with scented candles, incense or by sitting near a fragrant plant – lavender is ideal for aiding relaxation.
• Focus on your breath using the well known 4-7-8 technique: inhale through your nose to the count of four, hold your breath for a count of seven and then exhale completely through your mouth to the count of eight. The act of counting will ensure that you don’t think about anything else!
• Try using an app such as The Mindfulness App, Headspace or Calm. These apps will provide structure to your meditation time and are free to use but have options to upgrade with in-app purchases to enhance your experience.
Give it a go every day for a week and see how you feel!